Register For This Event
Oct 24 2013 / 6:30 PM- 7:45 PM
Institute of the Americas
10111 N. Torrey Pines Rd., La Jolla, CA, 92037
Save To iCal
San Diego and Tijuana comprise a region of nearly 5 million people but the two cities are often worlds apart. Faced with shrinking resources, long border waits and safety concerns, many San Diego news organizations are hard-pressed to devote much attention to Tijuana. What issues are covered well? What are the missed opportunities? What are the border stories of greatest concern to audiences on both sides of the border?
Join the Society of Professional Journalists and the Institute of the Americas for this dynamic discussion on news coverage in our region with experienced U.S.-Mexico border reporters.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Vicente Calderon, editor and director, TijuanaPress.com, an online publication covering the Tijuana-San Diego region
- Sandra Dibble, U-T San Diego reporter covering Tijuana and the U.S.-Mexico border since 1994
- David Shirk, University of San Diego professor of political science and Mexico Institute Wilson Center Global Fellow
- Jill Replogle, KPBS reporter covering Tijuana and the U.S.-Mexico border on the station’s Fronteras desk
- Elliot Spagat, San Diego correspondent, Associated Press
- S. Lynne Walker, Vice President and Director of Journalism Programs, Institute of the Americas
Back to Upcoming Events