Register For This Event
Dec 6 2017 / 9:30 AM- 11:30 AM
Institute of the Americas, Hojel Auditorium & Malamud Room in the Weaver Center
10111 N. Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA, 92037
Save To iCal
The Institute of the Americas is collaborating with the San Diego Unified STEAM Leadership Series, the San Diego Unified School District, lead sponsor the Moxie Foundation, and others, in a major event in December 6, 2017, in order to underscore the importance of education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) to the future careers of the youth of the region – from all sectors of society.
Three-hundred junior high and high school students, many of Latin American origin, with interests in STEM will participate in this event.
Through interactive narratives with the participants, Latin American professionals will showcase their experience and demonstrate how their achievements and personal pathways to success can serve as practical examples and models for students towards achieving their own potential.
The participants will learn about the new high-tech, business, and entrepreneurial STEM careers from exciting and knowledgeable experts.
We aim to inform and inspire high school students from across the San Diego District and Tijuana with the variety of business, research and academic, as well as not-for-profit opportunities offered by the San Diego / Baja California mega region. Our objective is to enrich and empower these youth to be able to set their own goals and aspirations and to position themselves for the future to take advantage of the richness of opportunities.
Special pilot: As a first for the STEAM Leadership Series, the main sessions and breakouts will be live-streamed to a host of academic institutions in Latin and South America – including, but not limited to, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, and Uruguay.
CONFIRMED SPEAKERS & PANELISTS:
- Amb. Jamal Khokhar, President & CEO, Institute of the Americas
- Marcela Celorio, Consul General of Mexico in San Diego
- Wendy Martinez, Chief Engineer, Manager, Electrical Engineering Raytheon
- Luisa Reyes, STEM Programs Manager, Institute of the Americas
- Felipe Fernandez, Chief Operating Officer, Jelp, Software Engineering Visionary
- Guillermo Mejia, Director Tijuana’s Mind HUB, Consortium of Software and IT Startup Companies
- Gabriela Dow, Co-founder, “Plug & Play,” Business Incubator
- Adriana Herrera, Entrepreneur, Consultant/Advisor, Co-founder of GrandIntent and FashioningChange
- Miguel Marshall, Chief Executive Officer, Centro Ventures
- Adriana Heldiz, Reporter, Digital Editor, Voice of San Diego
Back to Upcoming Events