Register For This Event
National Press Club, Fourth Estate Room
529 14th Street, NW, Washington, DC
Regional energy integration has long been a goal of policymakers, international development agencies and investors across our hemisphere. The political will to integrate regional energy markets is demonstrated by the fact that several agreements have been signed over the years. However, for a period of time, efforts and projects were stalled.
Fortunately, across the Americas, there has been a revival of regional energy interconnection and integration efforts from the Southern Cone, to the Central American isthmus, to North America. Advances of critical sub-regional level integration efforts such as the Pacific Alliance have reignited interest in how to progress and deepen regional energy integration and have forced it to the fore of energy policy debates throughout the hemisphere.
Join the Institute of the Americas for a unique panel assessing the current outlook for regional energy integration, the role of policymaking, development banks and the private sector.
Panelists include: Chris Davy, Deputy Director, Office of Energy Diplomacy for Europe, Western Hemisphere, and Africa (EWA), Energy Resources Bureau (ENR), US Department of State; Mark Nelson, Regional Vice President, External Affairs and Director of Issues Management, Sempra; Ricardo Iglesias, VP Market & Sales, Engie. A representative from CAF – Development Bank of Latin America is invited. Jeremy M. Martin, Director, Energy Program, Institute of the Americas will moderate.
In a discussion format, the panelists will address a series of questions:
- What are the factors driving renewed integration initiatives across the hemisphere? Where are the most promising opportunities?
- What challenges remain at the national and regional level, i.e. infrastructure, financing & politics?
- What is the role of multilateral organizations, such as CAF, in fostering energy integration in the region?
- What is the role for the United States and its energy diplomacy such as the Connect 2022 initiative and programs in the Caribbean?
- What is the role of natural gas in regional energy integration efforts?
- What are the implications for Western Hemisphere energy security more broadly?
SPONSORBack to Upcoming Events