2020 Summer STEAM Camp RA Job Description
The Institute of the Americas is a not-for-profit organization located on the UC San Diego campus, currently looking for five (females & males) highly-motivated, Spanish-speaking Residential Advisors (RAs) to join us July 18 – August 1, during our annual Science & Innovation Summer Camp for Latin American high school students.
RAs are essential to the program as they are responsible for supervising students, as well as ensuring their safety and wellbeing in dorm suites and the cafeteria. RAs will have the opportunity to interact with brilliant young minds from all over Latin America while living on the UC San Diego campus, which overlooks the ocean. RA duties will consist of daily evening to morning shifts, usually from 5:00 PM to 8:00 AM (subject to slight modifications) with compensation being a stipend and three meals a day.
- Fluent Spanish Speaker
- Previous experience overseeing young adults strongly preferred. Including but not limited to: community programs, student organizations, day care facilities
- Must have patience with young adults
- Have strong cultural sensitivity
- Be able to develop leadership age appropriate activities that keep students active and help them develop leadership skills, teamwork, and makes them feel at home
- Group management skills to engage all students in all activities
Previous RA experience strongly preferred
All RAs must complete an online & onsite training before the program begins. RAs must also become strongly familiarized with the RA Manual, Program Manual, and adhere to all policies and guidelines both documents present. The Institute of the Americas is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.